View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

I think I am reasonably compassionate but regards the first paragraph if a man is in need only because he is too lazy to get off his duff and work, or has squandered all he had why would helping either one change things? The lazy one would continue being lazy and the squanderer would likely blow away anything you give him.

A few years back the local church was seeking help for a woman and her family, she was a quadrapelegic. I tuned up her computer and installed a modem (yeah it was that long ago). I gave the kids an old Mac that I had and Florence and I gathered a car load of food for them, and I mean a car load.

Well the boy got on his mother's computer and got online and loaded some POS software and froze the machine pretty good so I said bring it here I'll fix it. The husband arrives driving a new deluxe van with the computer. It took the better part of a day to sort out what the kid had done, but I got it running normally so I told them to come and get it. When they showed up I looked the kid right in the eye and told him I would break both his arms if he touched it again.

About a month after we had done all this to help them out they found out that the husband was going to all the area churches with his sad story. He had been getting so much food he had a neighbor store the overflow. Sure restores one's faith in humanity.

The next Christmas we got the name of another family and loaded the car again. Drove over to this poor single mother's and lo and behold her "boyfriend" is living off her but not doing a lick of work, and she had a teen age daughter. I would not have left that SOB alone in my house with a teenage daughter if I had one. He did not even help unload the car.

I was working then and a hundred dollars or more worth of groceries was no big deal. Can't swing that on a pension now.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.