Thread: Hello from NY
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Welcome Mike. Always nice to see a union guy around, but you would also be welcome if you were a staunch capitalist.

My dad was a postal worker and union steward. I was briefly a member of the IBEW. I worked summers at a manufacturing plant that was IBEW represented. I wasn't eligible to join the first summer I worked there. The second week of the second summer I worked there, I went to the union hall to sign and be sworn in. I remember walking into work late and the foreman telling me I was tardy, and I just smiled and told him that I was getting sworn into the union.

Now I am a member of the AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee, and practice labor law in the red state of Kansas. I have started working in Kansas after practicing in Missouri for over 20 years. Despite the redness of Kansas, I am finding out that it is fairly progressive when it comes to the protections afforded to public sector labor unions. I hope that the ability of public sector unions to hang on during the decline in union representation will maintain life in the labor movement - enough life that unions will still be a viable force when private sector workers wake up and realize that collective action is the only way to take on the power of capital.

Regards,

D-Ray
The IBEW is a great union here in the city. Made tremendous effort to train, and educate its members. Also recognised the need to be inclusive, the importance of health care and that its finance should be above board....provided reasonable pension for its members.