View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Good on you Chas. BTW we had an acid neutralizer installed so I should not be losing any more shower goosnecks. I went to change the washing machine hoses to steel sheathed ones. Turned off both faucets but pulled the knob just to check - water was still flowing. After I replaced the faucets I saw that the seats in the old ones were eaten away. Acid indegestion, who me?
It's hard for me to imagine the water out there being so acidic. As I mentioned, the local fellow from Maryland told me that the water would eat copper pipes, which I also found difficult to believe.

BTW, I've never heard of an acid neutralizer. The water here in Missouri is extremely hard, we run a softener, and it makes a big difference. The only fixture which is plumbed with hard water is the cold tap on the kitchen sink, and it builds up with calcium. Which I clean with white vineguar, which I'm sure that you're aware is extremely acidic. Also works great on cleaning up the water/ice port on a side by side fridge.

I'm also surprised that your water would eat a faucet/hose bib to the point that they wouldn't even shut off. They're brass, nothing too much to brag about as they're basically a shutoff valve, don't have chromed replaceable seats, but anything beyond a drip would surprise me.

Just out of curiousity, do you have a problem with calcium buildup? If your water is as acidic as I've been led to believe, I would think that calcium would be nonexistent in your environment. Since vineguar removes it.

I was around sulfur water in Texas, smelled like rotten eggs, slick as snot on a doorknob...could barely stand up in the shower, and I never had the guts to drink it. Like one old Texan told me, "they say it won't hurt you, but it will kill a plant, and I ain't drinkin' nothin' that will kill a plant. Think he lived on Lone Star. I suppose Lone Star DID smell a little better.

About the only thing that it wouldn't kill was a cockroach. Don't ask my opinion of Texas, it would shock Phil Sheridan.

Now the water in this part of Missouri smells good, and it tastes good. Hard as a rock but you can drink it. Get out around Warrensburg and it has sulfur...one of the reasons Missouri was known as the "Puke" state, along with the "Outlaw" state. Guess they'd never been to Texas.

But acidic water is new to me. I'd like to find out a little about it.

Take care,

Chas