Thread: Union Ballots
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Loyal Opposition

I'll agree that ULP citations might be useful in a union organizing campaign. Unfortunately, however, such findings are often made after an organizing campaign has already taken place, and the atmosphere has been poisoned to the extent that a fair election is impossible.

You use the term aggressive to describe salting. I'll agree the salting shows aggressive pursuit of a union campaign, but would clarify that it is a peaceful approach to organizing.

As far as the qualifications, more often than not, the salts are going to be considerably more qualified than the run of the mill applicant for a non-union job - particularly in the construction industry (where most salting occurs). One of the great successes of the union movement is the establish of apprenticeships. In the sheet metal trade, for example, the apprentice completes five years of a combination of classroom time and on the job training before he or she qualifies as a journeyman. This level of training, as well as the constant exposure to other highly trained journeymen, develops skills that are very difficult for non-union workers to match.

Regards,

D-Ray