Thread: Union Ballots
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM

I won't dispute much of your post above. Having been on the "management side" during a union election process, I'd offer these observations:

- as far as a company using "illegal coercive tactics", we made sure our supervisors were thoroughly trained on what they could and could not say or do during a campaign. Unfair labor practice citations are great PR tools for a union to use against the employer during a campaign.

- a union organizing campaign is a tough business, and both sides can become quite aggressive in their tactics. For example, "salting" is becoming more and more common-place, and is supported by case law. Salting is where the union sends "ringers" in to apply for jobs at the employer. These individuals have no intention to work for the employer long term, and may legally lie to the employer to increase their chances of getting hired provided they don't fundamentally mis-state their qualifications.

- coercion is not restricted to the employer in a union campaign. Lots of examples that I've seen of property damage - both the employer and fellow employees - physical intimidation, and threats of violence.