Thread: Union Ballots
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I'm interested in the structure of unions and their procedures. A recommended book or website perhaps.

Can a business refuse to use union labor despite a vote by the employees for the union? Once a union is operating within an industry, how difficult is it to eliminate the union in that industry? Do unions support merit systems for raises and salaries or primarily seniority systems? What fee percentages do unions typically charge and why do unions want the employer to collect the fee?
Back in the day I was a sub rep with the union. During a discussion with some management the subject of one employee's job performance came up. The supervisor said "well if he does not shape up he will be terminated in six months". I said "Fair enough, once you have told him it is shape up or ship out, it is up to him". The super's boss said "Oh we can't tell him that." I looked at him and said "Are you nuts? He probably thinks he is doing an allright job, if you don't say anything why in hell would he change."

Yeah I was mouthy then too, but the problem is not always the union's fault.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-11-2011 at 10:23 AM.