Thread: Sotomayor
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As someone who has indicated that she will legislate from the bench, suggesting that she will use her personal experiences as precedent, I can't say that I'm in favor of her. Certainly not on the USSC.

Whatever happened to justice is blind and the letter of the law? I always thought that a good judge was one who could leave his personal feelings outside of the courtroom, especially when serving on the USSC.

Chas
I have not heard her say that she would legislate from the bench. If she indeed had I am sure it would have been the top news story today. What I understand is that she has said that her experience will bring a different perspective.
If you are correct and she does indeed believe she is a legislator, I will not support her.
I am also concerned about the employment discrimination case brought by firefighters in New Haven. The unsigned decision by Judge Sotomayor and two other judges, affirmed the dismissal of the claims from 18 white firefighters. How her decision was made needs to be explained and I am sure she will be questioned extensively on this.
I withhold my final judgment on her until this and anything else that may come forward is explained.