View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I had never thought of theater as concave, but of course it is. It starts at the arch and goes in.

Your poetry isn't always totally accessible, ebacon. One has to see the world with new eyes. But it's fun. Are babies weak, or strong? Note that they attach to convex, and aren't interested in concave.

At the end of the road there should be something you were traveling to get.
The way you expressed your fluid, maybe gelling, associations between the words theater, concave, arch, and going in, I think gives evidence to the power of design forms. When I wrote the first post I was in a foul mood over the design direction that home entertainment systems have taken. That night I was shopping for a Blu-Ray player. My hope was that it would match the styling of my old Yamaha receiver and tuner. Simple enough task. All I wanted was a Blu-Ray player that was black, metal, and about 16" wide. Ends up that I can't afford that.

My fallback plan was to buy an entry level Blu-Ray player from Samsung that would at least match my TV. I lost control and posted here when I saw the design that Samsung is marketing. Their entry level player is a little thing with a concave face made of what looks like graphite. At that moment I experienced a rush of memories of 1970s GM interiors, sanding fiberglass in the 1990s, Richard Pryor's joke about wrapping his chest around his dad's fist, and meeting people through it all. The notion of buying a lunchbox sized machine that tried to condense my life of learning and itching into an impulse buy pissed me off. I had to write.

I love debating with you all. Happy New Year!