View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Americans, and most particularly the Right, hate the French because they're so much like us. They're nationalistic, believe that others should speak their language, and tend to believe in their own exceptionalism. Moreover, they told us that invading Iraq was a bad idea and they were right. The nerve.

I've traveled through France dozens of times and have never had an issue. In fact, I find it a pretty exceptional country - great food, great wine, great art, great skiing, great sights and beautiful women. What's not to like?
I was being facetious in the OP. I was in the South of France for two weeks back in the '80s. Cannes, Nice and Toulon. Even Toulon wasn't bad, if you didn't behave like a jackass. Cannes and Nice were beautiful.

The dislike of the French most recently, I believe, was fomented by our own government over instances when we found ourselves at odds with them. Over the Iraq war, etc. Rightwingers fall for it more readily because...........well, they always seem to need foreigners to loathe.

I was once told that the French were why we "...ended up in Vietnam. To take care of something they were too weak to finish."

Ummmmm....... We never "finished" Vietnam, either.

Dave