View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Persona non grata

The Death of a Thousand Cuts.

OK, so a few weeks back my wife had to have some fairly minor outpatient surgery.

She was in the hospital for maybe a couple of hours.

Went under anesthesia for I dunno, 20-30 minutes maybe.

Routine, no complications. I stayed on the BCBS family group plan from work after I retired. It's expensive but it beats the Hell out of what I could get under Obummercare. I checked. The co-pays and deductables are lower. The cost for her portion of the coverage is $677 a month.

Anyway, even though we have pretty good insurance the doctors office wanted $300 bucks up front and then the Hospital wanted another $300. I asked the insurance lady at the doctors office if I would get a refund if my portion of the bill after insurance was less than $300 and she just kinda laughed at me and said "sure".

Anyway this week the bills started coming in.

Drip, drip, drip, drip.

Four so far.

They are small after the insurance payments, and "adjustments".

$53, $29, $30, and $22, but so far these are coming from places I've never heard of.

One from a local lab here in Mobile, one from some place in Cincinnati, and two from Atlanta. WTF! And so far nothing from he Doctor that did the procedure or the Hospital. I wonder how many fucking bills I'll get total and what the grand total dollar amount will be? I mean how many people are going to come out of the woodwork like cockroaches to get a piece of the action for a routine minor surgical procedure? These people have already gotten a nice chunk of change from my insurance company but that's not enough for them. They want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxnW_nB4Lk

I'm already up over $700 and this is with excellent BCBS Group insurance that costs $677 a month to cover one person.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 06-24-2016 at 01:08 PM.