View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM

I am glad that GM is finally getting to move into the Chinese auto market. For years the big three were shut out of the Chinese market by huge tariffs on imported cars. Making GM cars over there makes as much sense as Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, and others making cars in the US.

I hope GM moves into the far East and Middle East more.

The big three should have been working more on world market share, and less on designing Hummers, Suburbans, Yukon Denali's, Ford Explorers, Navigators, all the non-work luxury trucks that get 10 mpg, and etc... etc... in the last decade.

As far as the claim 70% of GM vehicles are made outside of the US is probably true, but is a disingenuous statement.

The manufacturing of auto parts has been an international affair for many years. GM parts come from all over the world. This is not unique to GM. My Mercedes 79 300SD has parts all over it stamped made in the USA.

I recently rebuilt the entire suspension, brakes, transaxels, and steering. The factory parts that were manufactured, when the car was a new model, were from all over the world. Germany (of course), the US, Italy, France, and others. Heck the steel wires used to build the vaunted French Michelin radial tires is manufactured in Rogers, AR. It is about six miles from Wal-Marts headquarters in Bentonville, AR.

Nothing wrong with global markets.