View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, I do all my own maintenance on the truck. Oil change every 3,000 miles, etc., etc.......
I used to do some work on them back when I was young and broke and could only afford to buy beaters to drive. But now I prefer to pay to have it done. Plus the newer vehicles have got no room under the hood to work on stuff and you have to be a rocket scientist plus have thousands of dollars of special tools to work on them.

My son's buddy was just bitching about how he was trying to do a simple job on his boat motor, but one of the screws he had to undo was situated in such a way that there was no way to get to it unless you had this special tool that costs $150. I know they design shit like that on purpose.

Up until fairly recently I was still doing my own oil changes, but when I got my Accord I quit that too. It's so low I can't get under it without jacking it up and I do not go under jacked up cars. I don't care how many heavy duty jack stands they have holding them up.

Back when I was 17 I had a 56 Oldsmobile almost fall on me. I was working under it and I saw my bumper jack (yeah, I know, no jack stands, Darwin award material) start to slip and I rolled out from under it just in time. But it scared the shit out of me and I have a phobia about getting under vehicles ever since.