View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Abby Normal

people working part time, what is the law?

A friend of mine is working part time, $10 an hour.

It's a healthcare service, take care of folks in their homes.

The healthcare service will call and often ask that the employee work for 1 hour. Sometimes 1 1/2, sometimes two.

This generally is about a 5-10 mile drive one way.

Pretty much all the employees do it.

I flipped out.

Let's say you are driving 10 miles each way that is 20 miles. The IRS acknowledges that the cost of a car is 57.5cents a mile.

So if you are working one hour, 10 miles away, it cost you 11.50 to get to work and home. For a $10 pay check. Which, of course, taxes will be taken from.

WTF?

Is this legal?

Now, on top of this, they will ask you to go from one job to another during the course of the day. One hour at one address, they drive to another address for a 3 hour gig. They do not pay your miles between jobs, which is not legal as far as I can tell and they do not pay for the drive time. This I know to not be legal.

Honest, I am between anger and heartbreak for folks doing this.

Seems most never realize it cost them money to get to and from work and just as few (if any realize) that an employer cannot "not pay you" for drive time once you have reported for work if they request you change locations.

Any thoughts or insights into this would be appreciated.

For example, although we all know an employer is not obligated for your expenses driving to and from work, what are is obligations to you if he sends you to another location in regards to then driving home. Must he also compensate you for any extra miles to get home than it took you to get to work?

Seems like they should.

Last edited by noonereal; 09-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.