View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

My niece (brother's daughter) married a Muslim fellow from Morocco and converted to Islam. They have three lovely children and are raising them to speak both English and Arabic. Her husband, Radouanne, is really a fun, interesting and educated guy (he was nearly finished a degree in Chemical Engineering in Morocco and completed his degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland). He speaks fluent English, French and Arabic, has a good job and is a great husband/father. We all love him dearly.

That said, I will admit to feeling a bit sorry for my niece marrying into Islam (though she doesn't seem to feel the least bit sorry for herself). She wears full Muslim garb and they went to Mecca on the Haj last fall (leaving their kids here with my brother and his wife for 3 weeks). They both said it was a life-altering and life-affirming experience. Her religion may well offer lots of the discipline, etc. referred to in the religion thread, but I think I'd find it stifling. Different strokes, I suppose.