View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybrad View Post
No one wants to take a look at the Far East to see how it does work because of our screwed-up social life, and our opinions (and dollars) on what is important to us. And their systems work because teachers are treated with professionalism, hired carefully, placed carefully, have the resources and home backing, and will t-r-a-c-k.
Tyler
Something that both my wife and I have noticed. She taught English in Japan for a large corporation. I taught Asian software engineers here in the U.S. Especially the South Koreans, when shaking hands prior to their departure they would reach up with their left hand and touch my elbow. I discovered later that this was a sign of respect.

At one point when she was based in Hong Kong she taught dis-advantaged children in Kowloon. I asked if she ever noticed anyone folllowing her because the Ancient Walled city is not for the faint of heart. I would imagine that one of the Tongs would have secretly guarded her to see she came to no harm.