View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I mentioned CU, but linked specifically to and discussed the "dark money" regulations that the Trump administration just relaxed to the delight of the GOP and consternation of Democrats. In any event, this dark money phenomena is something the Democrats want to get rid of and the Republicans want to keep around, even enhance. I know you have a hard time wrapping your head around the idea that the GOP and Trump aren't completely ethical and honest. Maybe Mueller will help set you straight.
The Dems want to "get rid of" it to the extent that they can try to use it as a campaign issue....while they're busy capitalizing on the influx of dark money to their coffers. Don't believe me, though. You revered John McCain on this topic in a prior post in this thread. Here are his words about the Dem's efforts on the Disclose Act:

In a floor speech against the DISCLOSE Act, McCain, co-sponsor of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, which overhauled campaign finance law, said Whitehouse’s bill doesn’t cut it.

“The American people will see it for what it is – political opportunism at its best, political demagoguery at its worst,” McCain said.

Dems want this issue to the extent that they can corral free speech. But no one has the guts to do what would not curtail speech but would slow the influx of money: make every dollar contributed TAXABLE.