View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You'll find this of interest, if you haven't already seen it. A bit too 'realpolitick' in it's outlook for me, but raises some interesting points. Your point above is that Trump is cannily guiding us through the 'Thucydides Trap,' but I fear he may be sailing right into it.

The Thucydides Trap: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/09/...ucydides-trap/
There is always the possibility of military conflict but I do not see it here, unless the Chinese really behave stupidly in attempting to block sea lanes.

I believe the Trumpists are frightened by what they observed:

After many years of "talk, talk" the Chinese have not really changed their behavior in regards to the coercion of Western businesses operating in China and the theft of intellectual property.

The Walmart Chinese connection.

The Chinese purchase of and investment in Western companies with strategic importance (recently Germany became alarmed).

The Chinese soft power is growing rapidly in Africa, South America and Australia.

The recent announced BELT ROAD INITIATIVE with its implication for the STAN countries like Pakistan.

And most importantly De-Dollarization. Gold backed Petro-Yuan--March 26, 2018. I believe this was a trigger in the Trumpists behavior.

De-Dollarization is an economic shot by the Chinese. They intend to knock off "King Dollar". However the Trumpists are not waiting for that to happen as they realize what significantly underpins the Chinese economic muscle is its massive favorable trade with the US.

The Trumpists are intent on a reset even if US hurts. They probable feel the US is more resilient than China.