View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Thanks. Been “practicing” retirement for a couple weeks now. Fully intend to stay extremely healthy; I’m the same height as our fake president*, but tens of pounds lighter, and healthier. Walking everywhere, especially enjoy birding at the nearby nature trail along a creek. Getting better every day at nature photography, one of many hobbies that will keep me busy. Already being asked to submit resumes by several recruiters I’ve known for years, but don’t really need the money. Maybe if I get bored; unlikely.
Before retiring, I thought I might consult somewhere between 30-50% of the time in order to stay active and engaged (I too don't need the money). However, I told my wife that I would only accept an offer with the right work, people, time and place. The first 5-6 offers over the first year weren't ideal, so I passed on them.

After about a year, I got an absolutely perfect offer (litigation support/expert witness work for construction industry lawsuits/claims, structural collapses and/or fatalities for a former colleague's company). By the time the offer came, I had fully adapted to retirement and was no longer interested.

Now my days (while not traveling (we typically travel overseas 2x annually)) consist of working out before lunch (exercise bike, swimming, weightlifting), afternoon hikes in the nearby hills (or at the gun range), and cooking a nice dinner to enjoy with a good bottle of wine. I've found that it has become really easy to have 2-3 hours of activity to fill up a whole day.

Enjoy it, Chicks. It's awesome.