View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Here's a source you two might like: Mother Jones:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ntral-america/

But the Obama administration hasn’t extended that caring attitude to another huge group of Central American migrant kids—those traveling with a parent or guardian, usually their mother. In fiscal 2014, according to data from US Customs and Border Protection, these so-called family unit apprehensions nearly quadrupled. By comparison, the increase in kids arriving at the border alone—the surge that put Capitol Hill in a crisis mode—was a relatively modest 77 percent.

In perhaps the biggest policy reversal since the surge began, the federal government has rebuilt the controversial family detention system it gutted only a few years ago, in no small part to send a message to would-be immigrants—even though 98 percent of those at one Texas detention facility were asylum seekers who claimed that they feared returning to their home countries, according to a recent report by the Women’s Refugee Commission and the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service. “I certainly would’ve never expected it from this administration,” said the WRC’s Michelle Brané, who coauthored the report. “Why they went for this draconian detention, I just don’t get it.”

Detaining families indefinitely to "send a message" via a "policy change". Sounds just like Trump "sending a message".

Except that neither are true. What's true is what I posted earlier. The system itself is a mess. And both sides blaming doesn't fix anything.
Uh, no. What you posted isn't true (and rarely is). Needless to say, the cited article doesn't say what you say it says (IOW, you resort again to lying). It says the Obama administration detained family units together, not that it separated children from their families in order to make hostages out of the children like your Dear Leader has done.