View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM

I am unabashed in my bashing of religion. It is superstition at best and a tool for exploitation and destruction at worst. Sure, there have been and continue to be many good and charitable actions done by religious organizations and individuals, but that charity can just as easily exist without the mantle of religion. And that charity does not outweigh the waste of time and outright damage done by and in the name of religion.

Religion exists because human beings are smart enough to recognize the concepts of past and future, birth and death, finite and infinite, but not smart enough to truly understand those concepts. Human beings for some reason believe we are smart enough to understand everything in the world around us, and when presented with concepts that exceed our ability to understand (infinity, what happens when one dies, what happened before the universe existed, etc...) we invent a solution (God) so we don't have to face the fact that we are still humble animals with limitations on our intelligence.

You can call that bashing, I call it reality. What's bashing? Things like the Crusades, the Holocaust, Jihadism, and the genocidal atrocities we have seen in our own generation in Bosnia and Africa. Those are what I call "bashing." Not some stupid, meaningless chatter on a silly internet forum.