View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I don't blame them. Beyond the defense issues noted in your post, it makes them more relevant on the world stage. I don't buy into the whole "Iran is irrational and suicidal" argument, (other than the irrationality of fundamentalist religion of any stripe). The Iranians are a very intelligent people with a keen sense of Western adventurism/colonialism in their corner of the world and I think they feel that having a nuke lessens the likelihood of further adventurism and heightens their stature among the nations of the world.

This is not to say that I'm sympathetic with them or any other Middle Eastern nation, including Israel (another holder of "illegal" nukes, BTW). It's just that looking at the world from their POV, it makes more sense for them to have nukes than it does if you look at it from our POV.
Iran (read Persia) has been on the intellectual cutting edge for thousands of years. No amount of christian paranoia and western revisionist history can change this fact.

I mean, c'mon. They invented backgammon five thousand years ago, they can't be all bad, right?

Last edited by neophyte; 12-16-2011 at 10:12 AM.