View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Area Man

Power, money, liebestraum......sure, there are a plethora of real reasons. But, what is the usual rallying cry? The catalyst used to garner support for wars fought for whatever reason? "For God and Country!"........sound familiar?

Honestly, from my point of view, if a leader stepped up to the podium and said something along the lines of; "We're going to war with ______ because the bastards are threatening our oil supply." I would have more respect for that, and probably be more supportive of the effort. It's the BS I can't stand. "When someone tells me; "We're fighting for God and Country!" I feel as though my intelligence has been insulted. I know the real reason always lies elsewhere, and I don't like being handed sanctimonious crap.

It's like telling me I'm risking my life for the Easter Bunny.

It won't work. They'll have to do better than that.

I voluteered to go help protect my country from the Soviet Union because they posed a very real and very serious threat of direct physical harm to my people.

9/11, as terrible as it was, pales in comparison to what the Soviets could have done. And this "War on Terror" is a fight that can be handled every bit as effectively, if not more so with covert and clandestine operations. That all of the "shock and awe" and "boots on the ground" is little more than a dog and pony show for the public, IMHO. One that is very expensive in financial costs, material and most importantly, human lives. American lives principley, but not exclusively.

I view flagwaiving in the same way. Spare me the brass bands and puff chested John Wayne/Ronald Reagan/Founding Fathers hullabaloo, and tell me what's really going on......Or I'll tune you out.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-15-2012 at 05:13 AM.