View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Enjoying the ride, keep it up.
We had been independent of Old Blighty several decades before they determined to fund a solution to the Great Stink of London. Real engineering solutions to civil sanitation did much to make city life tolerable.
Pio1980,

When I visited London I brought my camera. As I walked around the city I tried to feel the contrast between it and America. I had a bias from Germany that said the nearest capitalist nation to America is Great Britain, and even by that contrast Great Britain allows their workers to be themselves during time off.

As I tried to capture that emotion in camera I rode the tubes and walked around the city. One morning I was lucky enough to ride the tube into the financial district during morning rush hour. My hope was to capture a sunrise over the Thames and be a hippy that I never was. But what happened that morning was that I reverted to being a European and sucking in my gut to make space that did not exist on the morning tube into London's financial district.

I felt good being courteous with my gear.

After I photographed the sunrise from the bank of the Thames, and smelled the stink of piss that was greater in days of yore , I walked away from the river and back to reality. During that walk I found my photo. It was a contrast between the London that I was vs. the Londinium of yore. Glass tower vs. Stone wall. It was a magic moment for me. I treasure that photograph like archaeologists treasure delicate brushes and cops treasure good evidence.

Broom space.

Peace.