View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Now that we've got a good amount of postings, the follow-up question to this, is....do you believe that your faith, past, present, or lack thereof, has created any of your political views, and if so how? And how is it different from others?
Being brought up in the Methodist church affected my views on life and politics in many ways.

John Wesley, the father is Methodist theology, recognized reason as a large part of a religious life. The theology offers more than blind adherence to dogma.

The Social Principles of the Methodist Church were always progressive for their time. Early in the last century the Social Principles spoke against sweat-shops, in favor of a forty hour work week, and in favor of the ability of workers to organize for their mutual aid and benefit.

The Methodist churches with which I have been affiliated have always showed an openness to people of other faiths. I recall as a youth being very impressed that communion was offered to anyone who professed their faith in its purpose. Whether one actually professed such faith was a matter of individual conscience. Friends from more fundamentalist churches believed that unless you have been baptised in their particular church, you were headed for Hell.

Finally, although the terminology was not used at the time, it was evident that the village was very much involved in raising children. Many adults volunteered for sunday school and church programs. Those adults also held us accountable. We had basketball teams from the church. The fellowship hall was open to the community and regularly had something going on. We were able to go to the church nearly every day to play basketball. As yutes we knew every nook and cranny of the church.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we also learned the Golden Rule, and not the one that says he who has the gold makes the rules.

As a result of that upbringing, I see the need for a more egalitarian world, a need to work for social justice, seek respect for the religious beliefs of others, and don't see those different from me as enemies. I see a moral imperative to take care of those less fortunate.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 11-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.