View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It isn't racist. Trump is undoubtedly so, however, and decent people are concerned he will use his racist views to inform his policy. Decent people (which excludes Trump and his apologists) don't believe that merit is race-based, but are justifiably concerned that Trump does. In the words of conservative Michael Gerson:

The claim that America needs more Norwegian immigrants and fewer Africans from “shithole countries” is racist. It is not the same as arguing for a higher-skilled immigrant pool. That argument might go something like: “We need a higher-skilled immigrant pool.”...

On this issue, Trump has not earned a single benefit of the doubt. His racial demagoguery in the Central Park Five case . . . his attribution of Kenyan citizenship to Barack Obama . . . his references to Mexican migrants as rapists and murderers . . . his unconstitutional attempt at a Muslim ban . . . his moral equivocation following the deadly protests in Charlottesville . . . his statement, reported by the New York Times, that Nigerians would never “go back to their huts” after seeing America . . . all of these constitute an elaborate pattern of bigotry. Trump makes off-hand racist comments, he promotes racist stereotypes and he incites racism as a political strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...98a_story.html
Gerson nailed it to the barn door. I can't believe that anyone is trying to argue otherwise.