Thread: Chevy Volt
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM

I drove a Volt last week. It was a 2013 model. Full price was $39,150, they pay the sales tax. Max out the options you are looking at $44,500 We drove a few Toyota Avalons the week before 2012 models one option down from the deluxe model. $46,500 I pay the sales tax. Both cars were very nice.

For practical purposes the Volt is an ideal car for Janet. She drives a few miles to and from her office, likes to shop at the stores with overstock items from other stores like TJ Maxx that are all very close to our house. The fancy stores, she likes to shop at, are in the Promenade Mall in Rogers, AR about a 20 mile round trip.

We have driven Mercedes, Lexus, Porsches, Chevy and Toyota trucks since 1978. I am not going to say the Volt was like driving a 126 body 560SEL Mercedes, but it is a very well engineered car and is a joy to drive. Janet drives about 3000 miles a year. The Volt would be perfect for her.

We drove the new Chevy Malibu and were underwhelmed. It is reviewed as a very solid handling car. I did not get that impression. I felt like the rear end was trying to break loose and the suspension was clunky. The LTZ package is maddening. Starting off with only two cylinders firing and then the full eight kick in it felt like driving an old turbodiesel Mercedes. The bumper to bumper lifetime warranty was enticing. Fully optioned they sell for about $34,000.

I don't see what all the fuss about the price of the Volt is. $40,000 won't buy a fully optioned, 4x4, extended cab, Chevy half ton truck nowadays, and there are a whole bunch of them on the road here.