View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Haven't noticed any lobbyists being overly concerned with making sure that Ol' Chas gets a square deal.

Isn't corporatism grand???

Chas
No one wants to talk about how blatantly illegal the conduct of the providers is, and that the conduct of the insurance companies in those transactions was likely illegal as well (if the courts were to determine that they had monopoly power as a result of their control of a substantial number of subscribers). Of course, Sam Walton loved to play that game too. It certainly appeared that there was some price fixing going on on Wall Streed before the market collapse as well. The crisis also resulted in a greater concentration of banks, with the big ones swallowing up other big ones. While treasury interest rates are around 1-2%, the banks are offering a 10.5% rate to their BEST customers.

The anti-trust laws have essentially been ignored for decades, but they are still on the books. I'm sure the DOJ is pretty busy with GITMO and trying to pick up the slack for the huge backlog of civil rights cases that had been ignored, but I sure would like to see a renewed focus on antitrust laws.

Regards,

D-Ray