View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Many of the "Founders" didn't really believe that "all men" were created as equal in the context that we do. They didn't see "Negroes" or women as "men". From all I've read, they apparently only saw themselves as being "men".

A few, such as Adams, saw it differently and were verbally assailed for it. He was one of the few that didn't own any "negro" slaves or servants.

This morning I read up on the building of D.C. and how, despite the fact that he thought the grandeur of the capital was a "fitting seat for government", he bemoaned realizing why "the Southerners" insisted that the capital be built in the south;

The massive use of slave labor and his suspicion that they were receiving kickbacks from construction contractors.

But, I am told we should return to the "honorable" and "Christian" ways of the Founders..........

LOL!

Dave
I am not LOL rather it is more like wanting to cry, especially as it could be so different then money is not called filthy lucre for nothing.