View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Only the conservatives would reason the people would prefer a one time (stimulus) check over a regular paycheck. Or that the extra unemployment money has turned the nation into a bunch of layabouts.
There don't seem to be many conservatives here to address that so let me enlighten you. As a conservative myself and surrounded by a lot of them in my travels I can tell you this:

The first point is false. The opposite is true. However, if the government is going to throw free money at everyone, I want my share, if only to throw it into a savings account to use to pay the taxes - or help offset the price inflation - that I'll be required to pay to offset the payment.

Regarding the second part, you are absolutely correct, but I wouldn't use the "layabouts" description. Rather, when the government pays you more to not work than an employer pays you to work, you are likely to just go for the government payments, especially if you don't spend a lot of time looking at the big picture and long term consequences.

But the free fed money for unemployment will be ending soon - and so will the labor shortage. This assumes they don't increase it again.

This is the position of all the conservatives I've discussed this with. All of them.

Last edited by Not Insane; 05-10-2021 at 08:45 AM.