View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A Louisiana lawyer nominated by President Trump for a federal judgeship refused to affirm whether she's opposed to school segregation during a congressional hearing Wednesday.

Wendy Vitter, an outspoken anti-abortion activist and counsel for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans, went before the Senate Judiciary Committee for a confirmation hearing to become the district judge of the Eastern District of Louisiana.

"Do you believe that Brown v. Board of Education was correctly decided?" Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) asked Vitter, referencing the landmark 1954 Supreme Court decision that ruled racial segregation in public schools unconstitutional.

"I don't mean to be coy," Vitter replied, "but I think I get into a difficult area when I start commenting on Supreme Court decisions, which are correctly decided and which I may disagree with."

Vitter, who was given a unanimous "unqualified" rating by the American Bar Association, was also grilled by lawmakers over her staunch anti-abortion views.

The 56-year-old nominee once accused Planned Parenthood of "killing over 150,000 females a year," seemingly without any proof to back it up.

"Do you stand by that statement?" Blumenthal asked her.

Vitter avoided the question ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3929024