View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think we tend to view history in the abstract....
put yourself in the actual shoes of a slave and look at the slavery from that viewpoint.

I had this famous professor once who liked to say that you have realize that history happens to REAL people...

John Gaddis
he is at Yale now
We spent a week at Williamsburg VA and got to see what things were like back then. The well to do lived quite confortable=y but the poor and slaves living conditions were bloody awful.

One punisment for law breakers was time in the stocks - summer or winter out in the open. I imaigine that a woman in the stocks would have been fair game.

Rbbin I expect the idea that slaves would not welcome freedom was really meant to mean they would have been ill prepared for it. No trade, no money, no job however were they to survive?

Then there was the Dred Scott case.

But as Chas put it time to put hate aside, though I only arrived here in 1983 I have no dog in this fight. What I can do is treat people honourably and with respect unless they will not allow me to do so.