View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That's not new, Rob. It's been a part of infantry training for a very long time. An infantryman in combat must be able to kill instantly, without hesitation or reflection. I was trained in just that way almost 50 years ago. Thank God I never had to put that training to use!

John
It seems to me that the Greatest Generation was taught to march in step and how to shoot and clean a Garand (or Lee Enfield) then sent of to war. And they did a pretty damn good job of it. You shoot at the enemy because he is shooting at you. The first time you have to kill someone youu turn aside and throw up, but evenyually learn to live with it - or not. I was too young for WW II but I was on damn good terms with many who did participate.

What they do now is sad because they cant put back that 18 tyear old profile. Do a lookup of Jacksonville NC, bnext door to Camp LeJeune and study the teen pregnancy rate. I am willing to bet that they were not all concensual. The dental assistant who cleans my teeth her father was a marine and she lived there for the two years he was posted there. She tells me there was at least one pregnant girl in every one of her high school classes. Florence's first husband was an ex marine officer - she left him for damn good reasons.