View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Is that what I think, Finn? You've made the effort to discuss this with me and get my thoughts about it? No, you've not. Is this what I think? No its not.

Straw dog fallacy example? Yes, your post above is a great example. Thanks for providing it.
You said "In contrast, its Dems leading the charge to revise / erase history by insisting that Confederate military statues must be torn down." This conservative meme belies the fact that these statues were not erected for educational or historical purposes. They were erected during the Jim Crow era with the express purpose of reasserting white supremacy and promoting the Lost Cause of the Confederacy (which itself is revisionist history).

Furthermore, history is not taught via statues. It is taught via books and schools. One's understanding of Jefferson Davis or Nathan Bedford Forrest is not enhanced one whit by these statues that were erected to glorify the revisionist Lost Cause.

I'm happy to debate the fine points of Civil War history with you at any time. I'm an avid Civil War history buff, have visited all major Civil War battlefields in the country, read dozens of books on the subject and have conducted tours for family/friends of Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, and Monocacy battlefield (and my father was a guest lecturer on Civil War history in the state of Maryland). None of my or my father's knowledge of Civil War history came from looking at statues.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.