Thread: The ACLU
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Admin

HillBilly, I don't have a problem with personal prayer anywhere. When it's done on school grounds as a collective prayer for the football team it goes over the line. This isn't a war on religion. It's the principal of respecting other folks beliefs & their religion. Therein lies my objection to having anyone advocating their theism over anyone elses in a public school or any at publicly funded institution.
The constitution wisely proscribes the establishment of religion at the expense of any other citizens beliefs. I just don't understand how anyone takes the objection as a war on their beliefs when it's the opposite of that. It's meant to safeguard the right to believe & worship and the right to not be subjected to pressure of the majority to follow beliefs that they either don't subscribe to or wish to keep private.
It's a simple rule meant to protect society from the conflicts that so often in the past that have led to oppression and outright persecution.