View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Look for the retirement age for SS to go up yet again. I wouldn't have any problem at all if they want to privatise it. It's a pittance anyway, and I don't count on it one bit. Give me mine right now and let me bet it all on red twice, then it might be worth something. My life has shown me that the less I depend on the government, the better my deal gets. Too many people have learned how to "work" good intentioned gov. programs. Combine that with the state of the work ethic in this country, and you get a collapse. I think we focus too much on seperate "little" problems, like health care, retirement, etc.., when the real problems begin at home. Americans need to start raising their own children again, and stop leaving it to the day care centers.
You may not depend on SS but for a lot of people it's literally a matter of life and death. If Bush had succeeded in privatizing Social Security early in his first term as he wanted, just think how many elderly retired people would have been absolutely devastated in the stock market meltdown.

Republicans, by reintroducing this idea at this time, are showing us that they don't give a flying fuck about middle and lower class Americans. They've got their trust funds and their bonds (taxed at 15%), their friends on Wall Street would like to get their hands on all those dollars in the SS Trust Fund and the rest of us can go to hell.

John