View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
But the country life isn't what it used to be. The town I grew up in looks like a slum now. Doesn't seem like there are any normal family folks there anymore. There are some faux yuppies in some new sub divisions who are, well- not my type. Everyone else seems like they're poor as dirt. The houses in the part of town I grew up in are all run down. Lots of drugs gong on out there now. I never thought I'd see that. That Meth deal is a bad one. I guess it's like they say- you can't go back home.
I know exactly what you mean, Eddie. I used to hate it because it was so boring, me not being the outdoorsman type. But, I do have to admit, that when I was a kid it was very nice. Now, it's depressing. My brother thinks it's heaven because it's still 98.9% white. (And he's about as racist as they come.)
But, I guess he hasn't noticed that three of the houses on his street are abandoned and slowly becoming delapidated. One of them condemned because it was used by some scumbags as a meth lab. I told him once that I could show him proof that he's living in one of the most crime ridden areas in the country. He told me I was "full of shit, we don't have any criminal element here." You do know what he means by "criminal element", don't you? He still doesn't get that desperate, poverty stricken whites can be every bit as dangerous as anyone else.

Anyhow, it's sad what has become of that place. I blame globalization and a state and federal government that doesn't care. Then I blame the citizens themselves for just giving up and sitting on their asses.

To go a little philosophical on you; I've been thinking that "home" is not just a place. It's also a time, and people who are no longer there. This is why you can't "go home" after you've been gone so long. It will never be the same place. It can't.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.