View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 10:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I'm not conflating anything, as everything after the first sentence demonstrates. The debt and the deficit are linked, however, in two ways:

1) The obvious: a current year's deficit becomes part of next year's debt. You appear to concede this point above. Our government does this with great frequency, which may be news to you based on your diatribe above.
2) In order to gain some negotiating leverage, a vote on the debt ceiling has been delayed. All reports I've read are that discussions on this point amount the elected class are on-going, and going pretty well. However, the House does retain the power of the purse, and it can by vote deny funds for budgeted expenses as a check on the power of the Executive.

Strawman alert!

No, I don't believe that at all. In fact, I believe quite to opposite and have stated it here a number of times. The fact that you choose to ignore that in order to try again score cheap debate points is your problem, not mine.

Wow. The Repubs are threatening the increase the debt? Something that would happen anyway if they had done nothing? Those beasts!

Sure it does....
Put your money where your mouth is. Starting now, refuse to pay your credit card bill and report back in a couple of months and inform us how much your credit card debt has decreased.