View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
My

No stay around a little while and get into some back and forth.

Some of my thoughts on the tearing down or as I sometimes call it " The Dumbing Down and Fattening Up of America are as follows,

The all volunteer military, with a draft these wars would of been over long ago. When every one is up to go at 18 you become political real fast, I know.

TV video games and the internet have all contributed to the younger generations failings. These pastimes are good in there place but are easy to abuse. Some parents use the above pastimes to occupy their kids from what I have seen. Rather then spending quality time with them.

Kids have been spoon fed their whole life's they will be someone special without working for it. Then some when out in the real world get a rude awaking and want or "need" to come back home.

I could go on and on.........

Barney
My position on the draft varied depending on whether I was thinking as a dad or as a citizen. Never did buy into the transition from a search for WMD to "Operation Iraqi Freedom." I am relieved that the issue never became personal.

In our household, we banned TV and video games on school nights. After the initial whining, it wasn't that hard to enforce. I haven't seen any permanent scars from their having had a deprived childhood.

The boys also know that their former bedrooms have been turned into a guest room and a sewing room. Makes them study a little harder. They will be free to visit - even a longer term visit - but the stay will be in a guest room. I do believe that they appreciate the vote of confidence in their ability to take care of themselves.

Regards,

D-Ray