View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Joined the USN while still in high school, graduated and off I went. There is nothing like a real world education. I always marvel at the wisdom of Mark Twain. This quote is particularly apt in this case: Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
We can tell. (I know you're joking.)

I actually had a woman back home in Newton Falls tell me once, and quite forcefully, "I don't give a damn what goes on out there! Everything I know and need to know is right here! This is the best place on earth and that's good enough for me!"

One of the saddest things I have ever heard. 'Cuz that place is as boring and backwards as hell. I guess if boring and backwards is your thing, you have a right to pursue it..........

Dave
I can say with almost dead certainty that all the folks selling/believing in the notion of American Exceptionalism have never lived or traveled extensively overseas.