View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
There may be hope, watched two episodes on the Newshour of schools in Texas of all places, trying to stem the dropout rate. They are offering university level courses in addition to the regular high school curricula. Seems many kids dropped out from boredom (How well I know that route). At one major school one student received a two year college degree before graduating high school.

In some cases the university professors come to the high school, in other cases the students go to the university. They even accredit some of the high school teachers to teach the courses.
I never dropped out entirely, I just took to skipping classes and hanging out at the party spots. I barely maintained enough to pass....on test scores. I would skip classes all week long, then take the tests and score very high. It used to drive my parents and teachers nuts. Then my father noticed I would read the entire text book in the first week, or so. The rest of the year, I would screw off, sleep in class or skip as many days as I could.

I wasn't "behind" the class. I was way ahead of most of them and bored with waiting for them to catch up.

I never went to college because of;

A). My grades, low due to attendence and refusal to do much, if any homework.

B). I figured it just be more of the same.

It was a mistake, of course. I think I would have found college much more interesting and engaging. But, instead, I joined the Navy. Which was an invaluable experience in itself. I learned a whole lot about the real world in those days. Things that will stay with me forever, and I am deeply thankfull for that.

I got one of the two right. Should have done both.

Dave