View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Having spent the first 18 years of my life in Ohio, a few in California, and the rest here in the Virginia Swamp, I can tell you the cultures vary widely in this country. Ohio is a blue state, but in a "blue collar union man" sort of way, socially conservative but economically liberal. California, well.....it's hard to find the words. When I lived there the Californians themselves called it "The Land of Fruits and Nuts". Virginia, at least the part I live in, is very conservative. Out in the western part, coal country, it's a little different (Democratic) but not by much. It was a culture shock going from Ohio to Cali. But from Cali to Virginia was like moving to another planet.

I'd say none of them are really a "bad place to live", just different. Really don't think there are many "bad places" here in the 'states. Well, 'cept maybe Detroit? And certain parts of Atlanta, and Philly. Oh and if you ever have a layover in Newark-----don't leave the airport. Memphis is great.....Uh.....for the love of God don't wander off of Beale Street.

On second thought---there are some pretty damn bad places here in the 'states.

Dave
Well, I've lived here in Bugtussell (Moniteau County, Missouri), Denver, Breckenridge, CO, Tulsie Town, OK (Gawd, they got some impressive tornado's there), Rio Grande Valley, Houston (buddy of mine, Vietnam vet said he had more nightmares about Houston than Vietnam), both sides of Austin, and.....

Bugtussell ain't so bad. You don't make big money, but it doesn't take big money to live here either. And you can still sneak around on gravel roads shooting the shit and drinking a beer on a Saturday afternoon without going to the penitentiary.

Ain't like it was when I was a kid and used to ride my bicycle down the sidewalk on Main Street with a pump shotgun tied to it, and stop at the hardware store and buy ammo, but those days are over. Hell, we used to take REAL guns to school if we had a reason, and no one gave it a second thought.

And I intend to dwell in the past as long as I can. Sadly, modern society is dragging me into THEIR world by the heels.

And I don't much like it.

Chas

PS: I was looking at some stuff about Detroit, the skyscrapers being borded up and such. My God, I can hardly imagine how bad it is up there. Those poor people.