View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In a market economy, there's nothing other than supply and demand of particular skills/abilities that should dictate what one makes. I just don't buy the pastor/CEO analogy. If the guy can walk on water (literally) or mass produce loaves and fishes, OK. But talking about walking on water and loaves and fishes is another thing altogether.
Finn, you just contradicted yourself. You indicated that you have a problem with a religious leader whose exorbitant lifestyle is drawn from contributions by his congregation. (So do I.) But to be consistent with the market-based analysis you set forth above, if the religious leader puts on a show and presents a message that results in contributions at a high level, isn't the market for that particular service at that level?

If the salary of a CEO is based on a market manipulated by cronyism, which artificially inflates executive compensation, it that really permitting market forces to limit executive salaries?

My point with respect to pastors was not to suggest that they should be getting million dollar bonuses and huge salaries. I was merely suggesting that when a salary approaching six figures fits within the budget of the organization, the educational background, duties, and skills justify it (in my example, the pastor did much more than preaching) I was also suggesting that the actual contribution by the CEO of a similarly sized commercial enterprise should be valued in the same ballpark.

Regards,

D-Ray