View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Except on lawn equi[ment, I have had to replace gas lines in my tractor, weed whacker, and leaf blower. The alcohol simply rots the plastics that were used pre ethanol. Cars pre ethanol suffered as well, gas mileage on the 89 Probe I had went to hell. It does not bother the 2000 Impalas though.
It is fun working on any carbureted automobile after they give problems do to ethanol. Dunno why everyone says it doesn't effect automobiles, I guess those who say that are all driving fuel injected cars/trucks and have no idea what it does to carbureted vehicles that cannot agitate & purge the fuel system before the engine starts. The ethanol seperates and settles to the bottom of the tank and anything with a carburetor will use that fuel first. Fuel injection primes itself and has a return that constantly circulates fuel in the tank so that doesn't happen. Tractors, riding mowers, four wheelers, dirtbikes, and older cars/truck that have a carburetor all suck that 10% alcohol off the bottom of the tank first, and it causes fuel system damage.

Anyone that doesn't believe it, just get a CLEAR gallon jug and fill it with ethanol blend fuel. Set it out overnight and the next day have a close look. The bottom 2'' of the jug will have clear fuel under the regular color gas. Shake it up and it is all one color again.

I drive far out of my way to buy ethanol free gas.