View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But there is no public option. So its just the evil biz owners saving a buck at the workers expense.
We're going through this now. As a member of "management" there are going to be some bad days ahead.

Here's the thing- it's just how our economy works. Publicly traded companies are about much more than making a profit. In fact, it seems they're more about driving a stock price than actually making money. So in an industry like mine- broadcasting- when new competition comes along it gets very tricky. We still make money- lots of it. But Internet, cable, smart phones and a bunch of other stuff I don't really understand came along and our industry started to decline. Stock prices are driven with growth.

So if you can't grow you have to contain costs. So that's what we're doing. Making millions and millions of dollars, but pushed to make huge cuts in an effort to elevate a stock price.

So what's the answer? I hate to sound like a broken record, but there need to be strong unions and appropriate regulation.

What's really ironic is that none of us are immune. A very good friend of mine just lost his job in Los Angeles. Being a department head and one of the best in our business didn't make any difference.