View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
We're lucky they made it back, Don. The 10th suffered a 74% casualty rate by the end of it all. They were the first armored unit shipped straight to France. Two weeks later they were part of the 'Reduction of Metz', a stronghold that hadn't been taken since to Roman legions built it 1500 years ago. Dad was the most popular guy at division HQ, he was a mailman.
My dad was a medic in McArthur's New Guinea campaign. We still have dozens of Victory Mail letters he and my Mom exchanged during the war. We even have the letter by which they got engaged and him telling her where to go with her mother to pick out a ring.

My Dad was 30 years old, working full-time and going to Georgetown U. at night, when the war broke out. At his draft physical, the doctor said "Mr. Finn, you won't be drafted until Hitler comes goose-stepping down Rockville Pike" because of poor eyesight (he wore thick glasses). He was drafted 3 months later and was trained to be a medic. His brother was drafted and served in North Africa, Sicily and Anzio.