View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Sounds like some of the shyte WE pulled back in the Eighties when we were part of Dennison. Remember back then the Buzz of the Week was PRODUCTIVITY, we had to sit around & come up w/productivity improvements. One of their engineers had bought this HUGE Babcox & Wilcox boiler, gotten a best-friend/1st cousin/racehorse type deal on the damthing...One little problem, tho-They had absolutely no use whatsoever for it. So the engineers started scurrying for an out-in-the-hinterlands place to hide/lose this huge white elephant-Actually, it was Insane-Asylum Green-And our plant in Rogersville, TN, was about as far out in Der Boonies as you could get from Framingham, People's Republic of Taxachusetts...Well, we went around, re-did all our plumbing & changed a few things around, built a new-purpose built "Boiler House" for this mighty gizmotron from our Great White Fathers Up North...and found out, what with the upgraded plumbing, fixing a few problems like we did, so on & so forth, WE didn't need th' damthing, neither....But there it was, so it got installed in its spankin' new Boiler Haus. Other than a couple of brief trial runs to see if they'd hooked it up right, I don't think it ever ran. But we DID put in for Productivity Improvements of $5K a month for NOT running the boiler...Just don't say anything about it not being needed in the first place...Or the approx $750K Dennison spent buying it, sending it down to Tennessee, building Der Haus, new plumbing, engineering time....An' they let ME go for having "The Economist" on my desk, 'cause it wasn't "Printing Related"....