View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Boy, howdy!!!

What we need is more gubbmitt regulators, sittin' on their asses in some office, feet on OUR desk, sendin' IOC's to more gubbmitt regulators, tellin' us ignert podunks how to run our business, else they take the Hammer of Thor and beat our pocketbooks empty, and hire more regulators to show us nitwits the error of our ways. At the rate of $10 for me, and $10 for you...and if you don't like it, we got free room and board for you hard cases who can't make the connection.

How am I doin', Sandy?

Chas
BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
BTW, isn't the weeping Mr. Toyoda suppose to gut himself now, or something?
I'm still awaiting.

About headlights, I caught this on lincolnsonline:

"..... Decisions get made all the time based on factors that have nothing to do with lighting performance. Often they're more political or philosophical than technical. The various bean counters, stylists, and many other non-engineering departments all get strong voices in whatever project is at hand. Even external forces weigh in heavily; a good present-day example is the Consumer Reports headlight tests -- they are based on one particular company's philosophy of what makes a good headlamp, because that is the company Consumers Union commissioned for a test protocol.

It so happens that company sank like an anvil dropped off a building after it was spun off by GM (after being GM's internal lighting supplier for many years)...nobody wanted to buy their lighting, because it was all hopelessly out of date and well behind the leading edge in terms of performance. Nevertheless, that's the company that designed the CR headlight test, and naturally that test favors lights performing according to the philosophy of that company, and so we have a test that gives bad grades to lamps acclaimed for their high performance elsewhere in the world, and good grades to lamps panned for their poor performance elsewhere in the world. CR ratings are considered very important by most automakers selling in the North American market, and so the commercially-unsuccessful lighting philosophy of a defunct company is now a major design target for this entire market.
...."

Isn't that last line Dilbert-like on a grand scale?

Pete