Thread: Cabinetmaking
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
now that has a deep hue to it almost like a tiger eye that is sooo deep and beautiful.you know I think I just found I have a atraction to wood.I have some speakers that have a dark teak look and they are satin mooth and multideminsenal.maybe that is why I am such a speaker junkie,I like the cabinents as much as the sound.
As near as I can tell it is Cherry and each leaf is a single piece. The set (table and six chairs) is not factory made because there are subtle differences in the chairs. I guess that it was made by some craftsman for his wife, It is at least 200 years old. They tell you not to refinish antiques but as somebody had already done that (and done a half-assed job of it) I went ahead with the chairs and will also do the table. Talking to a local antique dealer whe we told him we had six baloon back chairs he almost drooled. Florence was offered $4000 for the set some years back. Not for sale.

Here is an after (left) and before (right) pair of chaires.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.