View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Wow. I'm new to this site, but I'm so happy to see such a lively conversation about education happening here. I've been teaching in one capacity or another for 10 years now - I offered my own preschool Spanish classes, private tutoring, language immersion, etc. I thought it would be a good idea for me to have a teaching license so that I could provide some stability for my family. I was also curious and wanted access to all that University Knowledge, the latest methodology etc. What a HUGE disappointment. I didn't learn anything that I couldn't have learned by googling. Teacher education is stale. As far as what we could do to improve public schools- I think more choice is always a good thing. I worked at a charter school, and the waiting list is looong, and the kids who go there want to be there. Why not make entrance into all your public schools dependent on a lottery like the charter schools? Why not give every parent the same probability of getting into the school they want to be in? Just a thought...