Thread: Reboot
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 07:58 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Some stereos now operate on a microchip. I imagine those would have to be rebooted sometimes. in manufacturing shops most of the machines are computer operated: the sheer, the brake, the plasma cutting, welding and on and on.
Don't get me going on that one. The laser, brake and punch are all computer controlled in our shop. Reboots are definitely a necessary evil. I can't count the amount of times that a glitch happens that the only cure is to shut it down and restart. Last time I filled up the program library on the brake and it wouldn't operate at all. Of course I had to delete some programs, but do you think it would allow me to delete just a couple? Of course not. I had to erase the whole library before the machine would accept a new program. Wouldn't have been so bad if the machine was tied into the network, but all the programming is done by the operator for each job and there is no method for external storage. Once deleted, you have to start all over.